- Parental Controls
- Identify Protection
- Extra Useful Protection
Panda Security is a private computer software company established in Spain in 1990 with headquarters in Madrid and Bilbao. Formerly known as Panda Software, the company, specializing in software such as antivirus, firewall, spyware and spam detection as well as security and management tools, competes with other security software technology giants like Avast, Avira, Kaspersky, Sophos, Symantec, ESET and BitDefender, to mention a few.
Initially, its product portfolio consisted mainly of antivirus software, but it has since expanded to include cybercrime prevention. Everything in Panda Security’s product line is available both for home and commercial uses. Its cybercrime prevention technology features a protection against malware that potentially damage the IT systems such as undesirable web content, spyware, hackers, spam, dialers and Wi-Fi intrusions.
Panda Security’s trademark technology labeled as TruPrevent is a suite of proactive functionalities designed to block unknown intruders and viruses. Panda Security is known as the World’s 4th biggest vendor in antivirus software with 3.2 percent of market share. Last year, its market share was estimated to reach 3.6 percent based on OPSWAT data.
It was in 2007 when Panda Software changed its name to Panda Security. Panda Software was owned 100 percent by Mikel Urizarbarrena, the company’s Chief Executive Officer. However, sometime in 2007, 75 percent of its shares of stocks were sold to Investindustrial and Gala Capital. Three months after the acquisition, Panda Software changed its name to Panda Security and Jorge Dinares replaced Mikel Urizarbarrena as the Chief, but was later succeeded by Juan Santana, who held the position of Chief Financial Officer. In 2011, Jose Sancho replaced Santana and has since served as the acting Chief Executive Officer.
According to Gartner analysts, Panda Security is a technology innovator with technological milestones such as the launch of SaaS concept or Security as a Service for cloud computing service protection in 207.
In testing Panda Security’s capability in halting malware attacks, its performance was deemed excellent according to AV-Test to be rated as the best antivirus software. But it did its job at the expense of a computer’s performance—it slows down the processes.
- Parental controls. This tool enables users to create profiles with options such as allow and block list for every user. The settings can be configured to generate reports on restricted websites that your children may have attempted to visit.
- Identity protection. If you store crucial information such as Social Security Number or credit card number that you do not desire to be shared online without approval, you can configure the settings for this tool.
- Useful extras. On top of its firewall, safe browser plug-in and email and network manager protection, Panda Security products come with features like online backup for free, remote PC access and restoration tools.
Panda Security is an innovator and has pioneered in cloud-based malware protection and detection technology. Panda Security’s antivirus is a suite that gives you more for online protection.
It does not come with a tool that would allow users to scan the websites shared on social media networks.
Operating system supported:
- Windows 8/8.1 (32- and 64-bits)
- Windows 7 (32- and 64-bits)
- Windows Vista (32- and 64-bits)
- Windows XP (32 bit) SP2 or later
Processor: Pentium 300 MHz or faster
RAM: 256 MB
Hard Disk: 240 MB free space
Browser: MS Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher and Google Chrome
Price ranges from $30.79 to $76.99 depending on the product.